20VC: Finding the right VC and the evolution of Summly with John Henderson
John’s good friend Harry Stebbings runs the wildly successful 20VC podcast. John joined him back in 2015 to talk about:
- How John got into the tech industry and later made his transition into the world of VC?
- As Head of Business Development and Operations at Summly, what was it like for John working with Nick D’Aloisio? How did his role change in the buildup to the acquisition by Yahoo?
- What does John think about Summary’s evolution into Yahoo News Digest?
- What has been the biggest difference between John’s life as a entrepreneur compared to his life as a VC?
- Does John believe it is crucial for startups to find a well-suited VC for their startup?
- What does John advise startup founders to do or ask to ensure that a VC is the right match for them and their company?
- Having made angel investments of his own, does John approach these personal investments in a different manner to his professional investments?
- What advice John would give to anyone contemplating angel investing?
The episode then finishes with a quick fire round where we hear John’s thoughts on the future of bitcoin, John’s personal news reading preferences and his most recent investment and why he said yes?